Tuesday, July 28, 2015

The long arm of the EU...

Today, I noticed this on the "dashboard" of my blog -- i.e., what I see when I am writing a post:

European Union laws require you to give European Union visitors information about cookies used on your blog. In many cases, these laws also require you to obtain consent. 

As a courtesy, we have added a notice on your blog to explain Google's use of certain Blogger and Google cookies, including use of Google Analytics and AdSense cookies.

You are responsible for confirming this notice actually works for your blog, and that it displays. If you employ other cookies, for example by adding third party features, this notice may not work for you. Learn more about this notice and your responsibilities.

Isn't that interesting? The European Union is telling me how to run my blog, eh?

What happens if I don't obey?

Not that I object to you knowing about the "cookies" that Google and Blogger use. But I don't know that I like being bossed around by the EU.

1 comment:

rcg said...

I was in Montreal earlier this summer. They are very particular about the use of French, specifically it must be one third larger than any English used in the same sign, web site, etc. A woman in Ontario that lived very close to the Quebec border had a make over business that she advertised on Facebook. She was sued by Quebec for not having French on her web site in larger print. They were concerned that a person from Quebec might see her web site and it, therefore, should conform to Quebec laws.