Sunday, December 18, 2011

My day so far...

Up at 6 am for 7 am Mass...

After 7 am Mass--with help from the seminarian--we began cooking eggs for parish breakfast. (I love eggs-in-a-bag! Real eggs, broken by elves somewhere, mixed and sealed in bags. All you have to do is boil them for a good while--about 1-1/2 to 2 hours. They need salt and pepper, and maybe a little fat or butter.) The seminarian kindly tended the eggs whilst I picked up the donuts, coffee and juice, quickly got myself some early breakfast, then had the next Mass...

...At which we received some folks as catechumens--meaning they are preparing for baptism at Easter. That is a ritual I don't do often so I had to review it a few minutes before 9 am Mass.

Mass went a little over; back to the other parish to finish preparing breakfast--slated for after 10:30 am Mass. We spread about 200 sausage links on trays and put them in the oven while the eggs finished up; we perked coffee and otherwise hung out till the end of the next Mass.

The seminarian and I served about 120-150 folks we think. I do this each year at this time at each parish. It's my gift to the parishes.

About 1 pm we served the last folks--some guys who set up the creche following Mass--and I sent the seminarian home with the leftover sausage and eggs and I finished cleaning up. Home around 2 pm.

I've been surfing the 'net for news since then; in a moment I'll head back to St. Boniface to meet with the junior high group; they are having some sort of pizza-competition.

At 6 I'm meeting with the high schoolers to go caroling. I'll have dinner around 8 pm, and that'll be when I can really rest.

No comments: